Thursday, May 3, 2012

Joe--He's a Beast!

I keep thinking about all kinds of things I need to remember to write down about Joe. 

So here goes:                            [hehe . . . that's why we named him that!]

  • He is now a master of the pincer grasp (using his thumb and forefinger together).  Two weeks ago, I experimented by giving him some small pieces of bread on top of the tray of his highchair.  We've had LOTS of bread on the floor over the last two weeks.  But within the last few days, he's getting about a 90% success rate.  And it's rather breathtaking to see how fast he can go through whatever it is I give him on his tray.  This morning, I thought he was into waffles because, well--who isn't into waffles?  But for dinner he inhaled both his bread AND chayote (a type of squash), so it's not just the sweet stuff.  This kid is an eater!  

  • Two days ago he added consonants to his vocabulary.  On Tuesday we were eating dinner and I distinctly heard something that I hear all too often from the other child.  I looked at Mario and asked, "Did he just say 'mama'?"  Mario agreed.  However, it was not in relation to me (or anything else, apparently).  And I haven't heard it since.  However, I have heard quite a bit of da, dai, and ya.  It's a nice change. He's got the cutest, little, scratchy voice.  (And, dear heavens, do I LOVE scratchy voices!  (Anyone else know Toni from NPH?  I could happily listen to that girl talk to me for days on end with her glorious scratchy voice . . . *sigh!*))
  • He sprouted a third tooth! 
  • When he's interested in an object he goes for it!  This might not be startling news for anyone else who's been around babies much, but it's taking me aback a bit.  (When Clara was a baby, if something was out of her reach, she normally decided that she didn't have much of an interest in it anyway.)  However, Joe is really good at rolling over and squirming around in order to get to what he wants.  When I need to work in the kitchen, I sit him in front of the shelves and plop some toys in his lap.  Invariably, he turns himself around so he playing with the box to the crock pot.  It gets to be a bit tiring to hold him in my lap, as he is so wiggly.  And holding him in my lap at the table--forget it!  Everything is fair game and winds up on the floor.  I'm so glad Clara has finally decided that she is a big girl now and she doesn't mind at all that Joey gets the high chair now.  Because he's enough of a handful that she no longer gets a choice of where she'll sit.  
  • Because he's so squirmy when he's "sitting" on my lap, I've tried standing him up on his feet.  He enjoys that and his legs to bear a bit of weight!  There is hope that this kid will walk sometime before he's 18 months old!  Of course, there's also the fear that he could walk sometime around a year . . . nah, he's still our lazy-walking genes.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment