Yes, sometimes she doesn't pronounce words right.
But the real trick is that, in Clara's mind, she is always You. I (or whoever she's talking to) am always Me.
So when she says, "Help you!" she isn't saying that she wants to help you. She's saying that she needs help. When she says "Sit with me!" what she's saying is that she wants to sit on your lap.
This confusion has been going on for a few months now, and I've gotten used to it. But now we're beginning to coach her as to what she should really say.
So now, every once in a great while when she wants help, she will say "help me!"
And I'm left wondering if it's me she wants to help or if she needs the help.
"Sheesh", as Kermit would say.
My youngest did the same thing. She would say what she heard me saying. I would say, "you want me to hold you". When she would want to be held, she would say "hold you" instead of "hold me". She would also say the same as yours, "help you" in place of "help me". They learn by repeating what you say. Eventually the get it right!
ReplyDeleteGood to know, because I'm starting to wonder if she'll be going to school, asking the teacher to "help you!"
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reassurance, Valarie!