Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Another Hurdle Crossed

Clara's naps have been rather hit or miss lately. Somedays she'll sleep solidly for 2-3 hours. Other days I shut her in her room for an hour and a half, and she spends the entire time pretending that she is both the audience and comedian at a successful comedy club. Either way, at the end of "nap" time, she's happy.

So, after a silent hour of naptime on Sunday, I was a little shocked when I heard her crying. As crying is out of the ordinary for her, I waited a bit to see if she'd fall back asleep. No dice.

Upon entering her room, I found her torso on TOP of the changing table at the foot of her bed, her legs dangling off (on the bed side, thank goodness), and her little hands clinging with all their might to the table top to keep her from falling. How she got into that position, I'm not sure, but it sure scared her!

It scared me too, so after declaring naptime officially over, I busted out the screwdriver and took the drop side of her crib off. I'm assuming that she climbed that high by using the folding side of her crib as a foothold to reach that fascinating top of the changing table. No more. Whether any of us really want it, Clara is now the resident of a daybed.

I was hoping that this transition could wait a few months, until the baby would have a more predictable schedule (and Clara would be used to said schedule). I sure wonder how those nighttime feedings will go with a two-year-old who's free to roam the room.

But so far, she's been really good about staying in her bed. The first night she cried twice because her teddy bear fell out of bed. Better the bear than her, I thought. Last night everybody stayed in bed, just fine.

This afternoon for naptime, she was caught playing with her Weebles treehouse (which, fortunately for me, makes noise, so I can tell the difference between her OUT of bed and playing and IN bed and talking to herself for hours on end).

This was a hurdle that I had been dreading, but so far, so good. Here's hoping it continues that way!
***************************************************************
Note: picture was re-enacted.

No comments:

Post a Comment