Clara's absolute favorite activity is reading. She is content to have me read to her all day. And last week when she was sick, that is about all we did.
Of course, I should be thrilled. Deep down, I am.
However, if I read "Where's My Nose?" by Stephanie Ring one more time, I may just throw it across the room.
For a month of two, "Are You My Mother?" by PD Eastman was the absolute favorite. She just couldn't get enough of it. I had had more than enough. Slyly, I hid it on top of the washing machine and it was promptly lost for at least two weeks. Sweet relief! However, the baby bird, the kitty and the cow have recently rejoined our family, and I guess I did kind of miss them.
Other books, I try to scatter around in her bookshelf, thinking that if they're not grouped together on the bookshelf, maybe she'll branch out with her literary tastes and pick something else. No luck. Even when I put "Peek-A-BOO!" (a cute, lift-the-flap, Halloween book) upside down and backwards at the very back of the shelf, she still managed to fish it out.
For pity's sake, Clara--it's almost Christmas. Can't we say goodbye to Halloween yet?
Apparently not.
"Peek-A-BOO!" may find a new home on top of the washing machine one day very soon.
Personally, I have a hard time with "Are You My Mother?" Both my kids LOVE that book and fish it out of hard-to-reach places, and I really don't know why! Surely there are other books that could take its place!:) I usually hide books on my shelf, but the washer is a great place as well!
ReplyDeleteKatie--what makes "Are you My Mother?" so tough? Until we read it ad nauseum, it was one of my favorites . . . had some tender moments reading it at the children's home I worked at.
ReplyDeleteSomeday, someday new ones will come out. But yeah--I don't see why it's so fascinating . . . I'm hoping to find Sandra Boyton's "Doggies" for Clara for Christmas . . . hoping that will upstage the kitten from "AYMM?". ;)