Thursday, July 17, 2014

In Overdrive

You know how life sometimes just plods along for months on end?  I had a life like that.  It was great.  I enjoyed it.

Then this spring/summer happened and things just started happening.  One thing after the other.  And while on the outside it doesn´t seem like life has changed much, my head is still trying to catch up.

The changes started out small.  I wanted to take a yoga class.  No big deal, right?  Not at all!  But I don´t have childcare, so this seemed like a harder thing to manage than it should have been.  I put it on the back burner.  Then my best neighbor mentioned that her college-student-daughter wasn´t able to find a job for the summer.  Hmmm . . . no job?  My kids love her.  She likes my kids . . . I´ll give her a job!

So Diana took Clara to school and watched Joey for 2 hours twice a week while I did yoga.  What a great break in our routine!  And it set me up for a few other changes . . .

So big!
A few weeks later, Clara´s teacher teased Joey about whether he´d go to school in the fall.  It was never my plan to send him until he was 4.  But he told Maestra Mary very enthusiastically that yes, he wanted to go to school.  I kept asking him and asking him in any number of ways, trying to trip him up.  He was consistent.  He wanted to go to school.

I told him he had to stop wearing diapers if he wanted to go to school in the fall.  He stopped wearing diapers.  So I signed him up.  While part of me thinks it might be slightly better for his development to be at home, playing at whatever he wants to play with, I really can´t think of any real reason not to send him, since he so clearly wants to go.  It´s only 3 hours a day.  It´s FREE.  Maestra Mary will be his teacher and we already know her and like her.  And he loves being with other little kids and really doesn´t get enough opportunities to play with other little boys.  So here´s his chance.

Now I´m left wondering what I´m going to do for 3 hours by myself every morning.  I´ve got to say, I´m loving the dilemma, and am quite confident that I´ll have no problem filling the time.  (Ooo--I have a blog?  Maybe I´ll write more than once a month!)  Another solution to the empty hours came our way a week later.

A dog followed us home from school.  He looked hungry.  I told him that if he followed us home, I´d give him some turkey.  He did and I did.  A month later, he´s still living in our garage.  We can´t see his ribs anymore, and I think he likes calling our garage home now.  He´s growing on me, and Clara has declared him her favorite toy.  Not sure that´s what his role should be, but we´ll roll with it for now.

However, Doggy is still a big fan of jumping up on us, so training this beast might fill quite a bit of time for me in my mornings.  That, and I LOVE to take him for walks.  Sniffy and I--we are going to tear up this town this fall!


So, my vision for this fall--a bit different than I had planned on a few weeks ago.

Are bigger changes on the horizon?  Possibly.  And maybe not.  But whatever comes (or doesn´t), I´m getting used to changes.  I´m even kind of liking them.

So bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment