Thursday, May 13, 2010

To Walker, Or Not To Walker?

Given that information in every single baby-raising book that I've read STRONGLY discourages the use of baby walkers, I was under the impression that the walker industry has gone under in the last decade, and that's impossible to buy one.

Perhaps impossible in the US, but in Mexico the walker trade is still going strong. While very pregnant, I began to brave the baby aisles in stores and was shocked to see the plethora of walkers on display. No excer-saucers to be found, but Mexicans seem to love the idea of strapping wheels onto their babies. Panicked, as we were making some major baby-gear purchases at Liverpool, I pointed out their walker display and asked Mario if he'd ever be tempted to get one. Much to my relief, he emphatically replied that the car seat, stroller, and crib were the only "toys" he would ever buy for the child. So no, no walkers for Clara.

Fast forward fifteen months, and everyone we know is getting concerned that Clara is not walking yet. I proudly correct them, "she's not even standing!" I didn't walk until I was 20 months, and Mario didn't walk until 18 months. I think my brother also waited until 18 months and I believe that both my parents were late walkers as well. Therefore, I am not concerned that Clara has no desire to get off her butt. The doctor said that he would be very concerned at her next appointment (due any day), if she weren't walking, despite this family history. All my little, old neighbor ladies who meet for Bible study are all concerned. "How does she do in her walker?"

"We don't have a walker."

Not have a walker! Well, of course the kid isn't walking yet! (This, despite the fact that walkers teach neither balance or strength, and also lessen the child's motivation to get around on her own, as she can do it just fine with the help of her mechanical apparatus.)

Two days ago, I got a call from one of my neighbor ladies. "I was just cleaning out my closets and I found our old walker. Would you want it?"

"Aw . . . thank you! But no."

"Are you sure?"

"Really. We don't want it."

Except Panchita just went on and on (and she's a little hard to understand over the phone anyway), so I just made my life easier and accepted to borrow her walker.

It's now sitting in our living room.

It's waiting to be hidden away in Clara's closet, except, despite my firm anti-walker stance, I'm torn. Because I love having Clara try out new toys. But I'd hate for her to get addicted to this one.

What to do?

I think it will be going in the closet soon, just to take away the temptation. But if anyone has any insights, pro or con, do let me know.

On a related note, below are videos of Clara scooting around on her "car" that my parents got her for Christmas (in April). With such a toy, she really doesn't need a walker, does she? Even more unrelated, do you know what those videos remind me of? The scene in Harry Potter #7, where baby Harry was flying his toy broomstick with his dad chasing behind him. *sigh* Good times.

Yes, I am a tad obsessed.

4 comments:

  1. Do what feels right to you and don't worry about the external pressure. You are the one who instinctively knows what's best for Clara. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Leah, but I will add I refuse to use those also and I feel you on the pressure. It has nothing to do with her not walking shes just not ready. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better-half is from Mx and our kid used an "andadera" though his gringa grandma said it would make him pigeon-toed. It won't hurt her unless you leave her in it all the time/or expect that you won't still need to encourage her to walk. Also, when she does walk, get rid of the walker, just as with anything else they get too attached to (binkies, blankies etc.). Out of sight, out of mind. I told Jr. that the neighbor's dog Ruff took the pacifier with him when they moved back to San Miguel (made perfect sense to him). Growing up bilingual is sometimes more challenging. We spoke exclusively in our respective native languages, and children who grow-up in such an environment may speak much later than monolingual kids. I say persevere as this is an opportunity you can't get back, and a gift that cannot be taken away.

    Buena suerte y algria son los deseos de los viejos del otro lado.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I just found your blog.

    I was totally against walkers, too, but my in-laws (who I live with!) insisted my baby would NEVER learn to walk without one and procured the most beat-up walker I've ever seen. I think it was a battle for them, because the walker is pink all over, and my baby is a boy. In the end, though, my baby's need to learn to walk (walker) won out over making him into a macho man (avoid all things pink) and now he's in it pretty often.

    I don't think trying it out like a toy will do any damage. Kids are resilient. Obviously, leaving a baby "trapped" in it would be awful. The occasional excursion, though, could be entertainingly novel.

    ReplyDelete